Friday, June 29, 2012

Blessed Are They


Matthew Chapter 5 is a chapter in the New Testament that has gotten me through a lot recently. The Savior promises many blessings as He preaches the Sermon on the Mount. 
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
 7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you,and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Sometimes I feel like I do everything I can do and I reap nothing from it. I feel like I never see the fruits of my labors. I feel lonely and sad and forgotten. I feel outcast and unaccepted and a little bit scared. Sometimes I feel like Heavenly Father doesn't answer my prayers, but then a scripture like that comes along and hits me in the face. It's doctrine like this that makes me realize how truly blessed and loved I really am. It's truth like this that shows me how selfish I am for having those thoughts. My hard work won't always be recognize. I'll never get to see all the fruits of my labors. I'll feel lonely and forgotten and sand and outcast and scared. Why? Because I'm human. And guess what? The Savior, Jesus Christ, knows exactly, EXACTLY, how each and every one of those emotions feels. He knows because He's felt them all. How, you ask? I don't know. But I know He did
This year has been the hardest, however, ironically, the happiest of my life. I have been tried and tested and somethings I feel like I'm being stretched to my limits. But then scriptures like Matthew 5 say, 
"Hey Jess! WAKE UP, dummy! Heavenly Father loves you." 

Upon realizing this, all doubts, fears, and misconceptions f a l l  a w a y ... Trials aren't fun. But are they supposed to be? No. Trials are supposed to mold us and shape us into the people that Heavenly Father knows we can become. They shape us into our best selves. 
So when we have poor spirits, when we mourn, when are persecuted for our righteousness, we have to remember that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost have our backs. They're never going to leave us alone. Why would they? Even when we feel like we're being stretched beyond our limits and when we feel like we have nowhere to go...Heavenly Father's always there. Always. I only pray that I can live worthily of such blessings promised in Matthew 5. I want to be numbered among the Children of God. I want to inherit the Kingdom of God and I want to be able to stand at the judgement seat, holding my head up high, so that when my Heavenly Father meets me there, He will say, 
"Well done, thou good and faithful  servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." 

No comments:

Post a Comment